There is often a gap between knowing the truth of who God says you are and living securely in that identity. Oftentimes, we allow the jobs we have, the things that we accomplish, and the hardships we face to define us instead of what Scripture says. Perhaps a life experience you had made you feel rejected, so you believe that God also sees you this way. You are creating an identity that is contrary to how God sees you. We have to identify these false identities we have believed and surrender it over to God in repentance.
Here’s how to pray today:
- Ask the Lord to bring to mind any label or false identity you have given yourself.
- If these false identities were given to you through a painful experience, take some time to grieve over what you experienced.
- Invite God to meet you in your brokenness.
- Pray that God will help you believe the truth about who He says you are.
- Pray that God would make you aware of times you are not believing in the identity He has given you.
- Pray that others, your friends and family, would also live securely in the identity God has given to them.
- Why do you think it is so easy to look at labels and life experiences to find identity?
- How can you do a better job at speaking the truth of what God says about identity to others?
Father, it is so easy to look all around us to find our identity instead of being quick to go to you. Lord, I repent of the lies I have believed that I am only what others think or say about me. I pray I would remember what you say about me and rest assured in the identity you have given me as your child. There is nothing I do to earn or lose the identity you have given me. Remind me to look to you above all other things. Amen.